Sunday, June 08, 2008

Barry Obama in West Virginia

My friend sent over this YouTube link this morning and it gives us a peek into the West Virginia voting constituency. Most of those interviewed are Clinton supporters that say they will either not vote or vote Republican if Barack Obama is the Democratic Party nominee. Is that crazy or what? Voting Republican is probably the worst thing they could do for themselves, they are in a sense voting against their own economic interests. Why would someone do that? Apparently they don't like his name Barack and they think he's a Muslim.

It's funny because Barack (Barak) is a fairly common name straight out of the Hebrew Bible. There are a lot of Israelis named Barak. Hussein too, is a common Arabic name meaning "good" or "handsome". Unfortunately, Hussein is the name he was given at birth and unfortunately there was a dictator of Iraq with the same first name. But it goes beyond context of the name, it's the fact that it doesn't sound "American". It's not white bread, it's different, he's not Barry, it sounds foreign, it threatens the status quo. I often forget that while our country has had a lot of progress with racism, it's only been a few decades since that progress had been made. There is still a lot of mistrust of people that are of a different color skin, that attend a different church, that worship from a different book, and it would be a shame if people voted the same way an infant sees the world, in the binary of he looks like me or she doesn't look like me.

Obama is a Christian, but even if he was a Muslim why would it matter? The woman in the video can't bring herself to believe that he is not a Muslim and instead resorts to saying that she thinks that there is some sort of conspiracy going on. "I just don't believe that [that he is not a Muslim]". It's almost easier on her conscience to say that she is distrustful of a Muslim than to just say that she doesn't want a black man as President of the United States. I hope that those in the video represent a minority rather than a majority, but as they exist, it shows that we still have a ways to go in terms of loving thy neighbor.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conversation with an older co-worker:

"What do you think of Obama?"

"He's a nice guy, smart guy, but I would never vote for a black man."

"Why not? Weren't you just telling me how you used to be boss of this big department and a lot of your best workers were blacks?"

"None of them were thugs. They all wanted to make something of themselves."

"But Obama's like that too.."

"Sure he is, but I know the next time I'm out on the street and one of them approaches, I know the last thing I want him telling me is that his kind are in charge now because Obama is president."

While this guy's life experiences cause him to say different things to explain it, I think he has the same gag reflex that these tongue-tied, older, white West Virginians have.

BTW, I once visited West Virginia, where they sell confederate flag apparel in every convenience store. I tried asking people why it was there and they said "We're Southern.." The first person to say that I tried to mention how their very existance came about because of pro-Union sentiment, but it didn't get through. He just said again, not angrily, just confused, "We're Southern."

-weinbaum