Monday, May 29, 2006

GAARRR

Let my misfortune be a lesson for all of us. Today I turned on my desktop with the intention of updating the songs on my iPOD. I had gotten a lot of music before I left school and the 20 gig void needed to be filled with something new. Upon booting into xp, I tried to click on things, finding that my mouse was working but nothing else was. That's happened once or twice, I figured I didn't have the patience and just did a hard reboot. Test cpu, test ram, test hdd's....
...
..
.

system32/config/system corrupted. shit.

I spent an hour researching how I was going to fix this, the solution was to take the old System file and replace it with the default 'repair' version. Then I was supposed to copy the registry from a previous restore point and then restore my computer and magically everything would work again. Knowing my luck I should have known better. Apparently in the 4 years that I had been using my desktop that I built... oh sometime my freshman year of college, I had never ever set a System Restore point. There was no backup of my registry. I lose.

New idea. Put my hard drive in my external hdd enclosure, hook it up and send it to my other external hard drive. My laptop didn't like to see two external drives. I was screwed again. HDD in. HDD out. HDD in. HDD out.

Apparently at some point, excessive shutting down and turning on had corrupted even more stuff. CRAP CRAP CRAP. Now I couldn't even get into safe mode with the 'repair' system file. Now i'm sitting here in DOS, trying to recover my files with TestDisk. This sucks. Once mac releases it's $1000 macbook in black, i'm buying it. I can't deal with this all the time.

1 comments:

Just Dom said...

Damn Wang, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.